Build a Better World
All-Ages Summer Reading Club 2017
Read for fun and prizes – and learn to build a better world along the way! Adults, teens, and children are invited to help us Build a Better World, which runs from June 6th – July 28th and you can sign up anytime until July 14th. Activities, special performers, crafts, and more will keep you busy and learning this summer.
Schedule of events:
On Mondays at 2:00 elementary-aged children get the opportunity have fun trying something new!
- June 12: DePaw Dog Training
- June 19: Kid's Acting Studio
- June 26: Ying Yoga
- July 10: Vortex Martial Arts
- July 17: I Love Kickboxing
- July 24: MUV Dance
Be amazed and entertained by special performances on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Please note that some of our performers will have two shows. Space is limited, you may be required to wait until the second show if the first one is at capacity so please plan accordingly
- June 13: Austin Reptile Show (@ 10:00 and 11:00)
- June 20: Matt Tardy - magic and juggling @ 10:00
- June 22: Mr. Johnny - music for younger kids @ 10:00
- June 27: Wild Things Zoofari Petting Zoo @ 10:00
- July 6: African Safari with Elizabeth Kuhura - storytelling and music @ 10:00
- July 11: Staci Gray Music for little ones @ 10:00
- July 13: John's Got Magic @ 10:00
- July 18: Rodney Rash Magic @ 10:00
- July 20: Small Wonders Puppet Show @ 10:00
- July 25: EPIC Entertainment - magic and juggling (@10:00 and 11:00)
On Wednesdays at 2:00, beat the heat and join us for some fun family-friendly films and popcorn!
- June 7: Wall E (G)
- June 14: Kiki's Delivery Service (G)
- June 21: An American Tail (G)
- June 28: Fern Gully (G)
- July 5: Explorers (PG)
- July 12: Free Willy (PG)
- July 19: Happy Feet (PG)
- July 26: Horton Hears a Who (G)
Drop in on Thursdays afternoons starting at 1:00 to make some fun and easy crafts to help Build a Better World.
All ages are invited to our Block Party on Friday afternoons from 1:00 – 4:00. We have all kinds of building supplies to spur your imagination!
Teen Game Nights will be held on June 9, June 23, July 7, July 21 and August 18. Contact email@example.com for more info or to RSVP. Ages 12 – 19 only.
All-ages Game Days on June 17th and July 15th are perfect for the whole family. Come by anytime from 2:30 – 8:30 for Board games, card games, videos games, movies, and plenty of Pokemon! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story Hours and Programs
Please check our Events Calendar to confirm event times.
Weekly Storytimes for Summer 2017
On Monday mornings @ 9:30, Terrific 2s and 3s offers stories, songs, and a playgroup for 2- and 3-year-olds!
On Tuesday mornings @ 9:15 and Friday mornings @ 10:00, Baby & Me with Cindy is a storytime and playgroup for children under 24 months and their parents! You're never too young to read!
On Wednesday mornings @ 9:30, Preschool and More storytime is fun for ages children ages 3 and up!
On Thursdays @ 9:30, Fit Club is a chance to get your mind and body in shape! Yoga and exercises for parents and their little ones. All ages welcome.
Bow Wow Reading Dogs
On Mondays from 11:00 – 1:00, reluctant readers are welcome to schedule a 15 minute session with our reading therapy dogs. Contact email@example.com to reserve your time.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Give your child the gift of reading and instill a love of learning! Read 1000 books with your child before kindergarten and have his or her name in the stars on our library wall! For more information talk with the Youth Services Librarians or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carol North MakerSpace
The Carol North MakerSpace is a community workspace that provides access to specialized tools, technologies, and social time with like-minded people. All ages are welcome to use our equipment - just bring your own consumables such as fabric and paper. Children must be accompanied by a parent. No registration necessary.
Equipment available includes: sewing machine, Silhouette Cameo, button maker, iron, general craft supplies, LEGOs, snap circuits, Little Bits Kits, Raspberry Pi, and more!
1:00 – 4:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Teen Gaming Nights
Check out our Teen Gaming Nights! Monthly tournaments featuring Rock Band, Street Fighter, MarioKart, Mortal Kombat or other familiar video games make for a great evening of fun. Snacks and drinks are provided and a prize is awarded to the winner if we hold a tournament. Participants must be 12 – 19. To get more information or RSVP for game night, send an email to email@example.com. Check the Events Calendar for dates and games.
First Sunday Bluegrass Jam
Calling all bluegrass musicians and music lovers!
On the first Sunday of each month, we're partnering with the Central Texas Bluegrass Association to host a bluegrass jam from 2:00 - 4:00. Pickers and grinners welcome!
Bring your instrument and come to play, or bring your ears and come to listen!
Some Basic Rules of the Jam for pickers (musicians):
- We play only bluegrass music: old-timey, traditional, Americana, progressive, and even contemporary. This supports the written mission statement of the Central Texas Bluegrass Association.
- Personal respect for the pickers is utmost at all times. Disrespect is not tolerated.
- This jam is inclusive in that all skill levels, from beginner to intermediate, are welcome to participate. Advanced skill levels are welcome as long as their sole intention is to have fun playing and singing with others and not to be a show-off or jam buster. Generally, the first hour of the jam is beginner-friendly. Usually, the second hour is a bit more advanced.
- Noodling or excessive/loud talking between songs can be disruptive and is discouraged. However, noodling a bit to find the correct key and/or remember an arrangement is appropriate.
- The jam leader oversees the functioning and operation of the jam and is the final authority in all decisions.
Some Basic Rules of the Jam for grinners (listerners):
- Listeners do not actively participate in the making of music. They come to hear the music. Listener talking must be kept to a minimum and will not be disrupting to the picker circle. Usually, talking should be restricted to the time between songs. Listeners sit in whatever configuration is comfortable to them outside of the pickers circle.
- Well-behaved, quiet, and corralled children are welcome. Unruly or disruptive children will be given a large bag of candy and a banjo or will be told to leave.
- Generally, listeners do not request songs/tunes. Listeners may ask questions of the individual pickers only after the jam is completed.
Before leaving, it is a common courtesy to stack your chairs along the wall and remove all personal belongings and trash.
Need help with attachments, documents, email, or some other computer related issue? If so, come to our Computer Basics classes on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month from 4:00 – 5:00 and get help from our knowledgeable staff. Bring your own laptop if you have one or use one of ours. Check the Events Calendar to find out what topics will be covered. No sign-up required. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adult Book Club
Join us for lively discussions about great books! The adult Book Club is held on the last Monday evening of each month at 7:00 pm. Check the Events Calendar for titles and dates.
Leander Writers' Guild
Calling all aspiring writers! The Leander Writers' Guild meets the second Thursday of each month (except July and December) to encourage the creative process of writing. Get helpful tips and share inspiration with fellow writers and guest speakers/local authors. Come join the fun!
On the third Saturday morning of each month (except August and December) we have Adult Crafting at 10:00 am. We’ll be making fun, easy, and inexpensive projects like upcycled book crafts, garden decorations, and holiday ornaments. Morning coffee welcome!
The Library also holds special events throughout the year including:
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover (January)
- Be My Valentine storytime (February)
- Dr. Seuss’s Birthday Celebration (March)
- Poetry Contest (April)
- Teddy Bear Picnic (April or May)
- Summer Reading Club for all ages (June - July)
- Library Card Sign-up Month (September)
- Banned Books Week (September)
- Comic Con / Tech Day (Fall)
- Teen Lock-In (October)
- Trick-or-Treat Storytimes (October)
- Winter Wonderland (December)